You can create 2 types of WhatsApp Business Accounts:
- A normal WhatsApp Business Account created via WhatsApp Business App
- A WhatsApp Business API Account created with an official WhatsApp Marketing Platform like AiSensy.
In this blog, we'll tell you how to create WhatsApp Business Account through both WhatsApp Business App & WhatsApp Business API.
Before we proceed, here are a few useful resources you must check out.
At a Glance
How to create WhatsApp Business Account (with Business App)
7 Advantages of WhatsApp Business API Account (with AiSensy)
Which is better - WhatsApp Business Account or WhatsApp Business API Account?
If you're wondering which account is more useful for your business, here's a quick walkthrough:
WhatsApp Business Account suits small & individual businesses with lower message volumes. With WhatsApp Business App, you can:
- Setup a Business Profile,
- Send Broadcast to 256 people in one go (only to people who've added you to their contacts),
- Add product catalogue along with pricing
- Use WhatsApp Business on 5 devices (1 Mobile + 4 PCs)
Meanwhile, WhatsApp Business API account suits small, mid & large-sized businesses & startups looking to reach a wide audience on WhatsApp. It's perfect for businesses who want to scale their sales by Broadcasting to hundreds of thousands of users, providing multi-human Live Chat support, automating notifications & install WhatsApp Chatbots.
But, WhatsApp doesn't provide a platform to use WhatsApp Business API. You can only use WhatsApp Business API via platforms like AiSensy. With a WhatsApp Business API account created via AiSensy, you can:
- Send WhatsApp Broadcast to unlimited users in one go (even to those who haven't added you to their contacts)
- Automate notifications for events like Order Confirmations, Payment Confirmations, Abandoned Carts & more
- Provide Live Chat support on unlimited devices with the same number
- Install WhatsApp Chatbot to automate customer support & sales.
Here's a comparison table for the difference between WhatsApp Business App & WhatsApp Business API
To know more, check out our detailed blog for WhatsApp Business App Vs WhatsApp Business API.
Now, let's check out how to create WhatsApp Business Account via Business App.
How to create WhatsApp Business Account (via WhatsApp Business App)
Creating WhatsApp Business Account via WhatsApp Business App is extremely easy.
It'll take you less than 10 minutes to set up!
If you already have an account on WhatsApp, all backed-up media, then chats & images will automatically shift from WhatsApp to WhatsApp Business upon confirmation.
Now, follow the below steps to know how to create WhatsApp Business Account:
- Download WhatsApp Business App
First, go to Play Store / App Store & download WhatsApp Business App.
2. Verify your Phone Number
Upon opening WhatsApp Business App, it'll ask whether you want to use your existing WhatsApp number or create a separate WhatsApp Business Account using a different number.
Go ahead & verifying your existing/ new number.
3. Create your WhatsApp Business Profile
Next, you'll be asked to fill in your Business details including Business Name, Category, Description & Address. Fill in the details & click 'Next'.
4. Add a Catalog
On the next screen, create a Catalog of your Products. Here, add detailed information including Item name, price, description, country of origin, purchase link & the Item Code as we've done in the image below
You can run your own WhatsApp Ecommerce Store with WhatsApp Business App (on a limited scale)
Here's how the added items will look in the product Catalog👇
You've set up your WhatsApp Business Profile.
But, there's more.
Click the three white dots at the top of your screen & choose 'Business Tools'.
There are more Business Tools you can use to make the most out of the WhatsApp Business App. Here's a brief about these tools
1 Greeting Message - Setup an automatic welcome message that gets automated instantly whenever new customers message you on WhatsApp. Here's how it works:
2. Away Message - Set up away messages for off days or when you're on vacation so that customers don't feel ignored. Here's how it work
3. Quick Replies - Setup Quick Replies to reply to common customer messages with a click of a button.
E.g. Below, a user asks for the 'time duration of open hours' of the Flour Mill. The person already has a Quick Reply set up for this question and automates this:
4. Labels - Organize chats & customers by assigning them different labels. E.g. Create labels of different colours with tags like New customer, new order, pending payments etc.
5. Advertise on Facebook - Setup Direct to WhatsApp Ads on Facebook & Instagram to get users to directly land on WhatsApp where you can further engage with them & convert them into customers. For better handling of conversations, try out WhatsApp engagement suite, AiSensy.
6. Short Link - Short Link is an invite to Chat link that you can share on social media to boost customer engagement on WhatsApp.
Limitations of a WhatsApp Business Account
There are multiple downsides of using the WhatsApp Business App for communication with users like:
1. WhatsApp Broadcast Limit of 256 users. Also, it will only reach people who have added you to their contacts.
2. No option to track analytics
3. Can't track agent's performance.
4. Can't integrate WhatsApp Chatbot to automate customer support
5. No option to Integrate with 3rd party Software & CRMs
6. Automated Notifications are not available
7. Can't send Messages with Clickable Buttons
8. Getting a WhatsApp Green Tick isn't possible
To counter these limitations, you should create a WhatsApp Business API Account. As we discussed above, the WhatsApp Business API Account can only be created with official platforms like AiSensy.
Let's check out how to get started with WhatsApp Business API.
How to create WhatsApp Business API Account? (with AiSensy)
Like WhatsApp Business Account, you can quickly set up a WhatsApp Business API account with AiSensy within 10 minutes.
You only need these 2 things to create a WhatsApp Business API Account:
- A Business Website - A Business Website is a must to get access to the WhatsApp Business API.
- A Fresh Phone Number - You need an active phone number that isn't currently registered with any of the WhatsApp accounts. You can use an old phone number too but you'll have to permanently delete the WhatsApp App/Account active on it. Read here how to do it.
If you meet these pre-requisites, follow the below steps:
- Signup on AiSensy App
Go to AiSensy Signup Page by clicking here & choose, "Continue with Google"
Choose the Gmail account where you want to receive communication from AiSensy Team.
2. Add Personal & Company Details
- Enter your personal WhatsApp Mobile Number on which you want to receive the communications from AiSensy Team.
- Once done, click on the “Complete Sign Up” button to proceed ahead.
3. Create your first AiSensy Project
- Enter your Business Project Name and click “Create & Continue” to create your very first AiSensy Business Project.
- The Project Name is for the Businesses’ internal understanding.
- E.g If you have different WhatsApp API numbers for different departments/ businesses, it'd be better to enter the department name/ Business name as the project name to prevent confusion. Like Finance, Marketing, etc.
4. You've now entered the 14-Day FREE Trial
You've now entered your 14-Day FREE Trial which includes:
- Free WhatsApp Business API Verification
- Free 2000 Monthly Active Users
- Free 50 WhatsApp Conversation Credits
- Access all features & get going!
5. Verify Facebook Business Manager Account before Applying
Get your Facebook Business Manager Verified to enjoy unrestricted access to WhatsApp Business API. Click here to know how to get your Facebook Business Manager Account Verified.
6. Click 'Continue' to apply for FREE WhatsApp Business API
- Click on the “Continue” button to start the application process of the FREE WhatsApp Business API procurement.
- Make sure you are ready with all the pre-requisites.
7. Fill out the WhatsApp Business API Application Form
Fill out the WhatsApp Business API Account form carefully 👇
- Enter the email address (which you logged in to AiSensy)
- Your Name
- Your Legal Company Name
- And a password
- After clicking the “Accept Terms” button - you’ll be redirected toward Facebook’s Embedded Signup page.
8. Complete the Embedded Signup Process
- You need to log in to your Facebook Account to proceed ahead.
- Make sure your Facebook Account has Admin Access to your Verified Facebook Business Manager Account.
- Choose your Facebook Business Manager Account very carefully since it can not be changed after the number is registered.
- Choose or Create a WhatsApp Business Account - This is not the Display Name visible to your end-users. This is a WhatsApp Business Account where you can check your WhatsApp Business API’s Quality Rating, Broadcasting Limit, etc.
9. Add WhatsApp Display Name & Mobile Number
In Embedded Signup, add:
- Business Display Name
This is the name that will be visible to your users. If your Display Name is different from the Legal Name of the company, you can provide a relevant business website to proceed ahead.
Click here to understand how to pick your WhatsApp Business Display Name.
- Your Business Category
Choose the category which perfectly defines your Business.
- Business Description
Add a suitable description that will be visible to customers when they click your profile button.
- Complete the number Registration
Complete the Phone Number registration by submitting the Phone Number and triggering the 6-digit code via SMS or Voice.
Make sure the number is not registered on any WhatsApp Accounts.
10. Generate your API Key
- The embedded signup process will take some time to Procure WhatsApp Business API on the registered Phone Number and Complete.
- Once done, click the “Generate API Key” button to generate the API key.
- Copy the API key and go back to your AiSensy Dashboard.
11. Setting WhatsApp Business API Live
- Click on the “Set WABA Live” button and paste the API Key copied.
- Once done, the WhatsApp Business API will go into the Sandbox testing mode until all reviews are completed.
- The majority of reviews are completed instantly (in under 10 minutes) - only the Display Name takes anywhere between 24 Hours - 48 hours for approval.
- Once the Display Name is approved, you can get started with the AiSensy Platform.
12. Approved WhatsApp Business API Account
After review, if your application gets accepted, you'll receive an API Key which you need to submit to AiSensy Dashboard.
After a simple copy-paste action, just click 'Submit API Key' and your WhatsApp Business API Account will go Live.
It might look like a lot of hassle but don't worry. If you get stuck at any step, our team will help you out via Phone Call, Google Meet, WhatsApp & email. Connect with them here.
Wondering what's the approval time for WhatsApp Business API account?
The approval time varies. Some companies get the API approved within 10 minutes while for some it might take a few days.
You can try out sandbox testing in AiSensy App.
After getting approval for WhatsApp Business API, you'll be able to:
- Send WhatsApp Broadcast to unlimited users in one go
- Automate notifications for events like Order Confirmation, payment links, delivery updates & more
- Install WhatsApp Chatbots to automate customer support
- Use WhatsApp Business for multiple users
- Get verified Green Tick for your business
And much more...
All, with the AiSensy App!
7 Benefits of using WhatsApp Business API Account with AiSensy
There are multiple WhatsApp Business API providers across the globe. Then, why choose AiSensy to create your WhatsApp Business API account? Here are 7 reasons to hit this Signup button & get started with WhatsApp Business API in 10 minutes
1. Send WhatsApp Broadcast to unlimited users - Using AiSensy, import your contacts easily & Broadcast promotional messages to unlimited users in one go. Track performance of Broadcast Campaign in Analytics section.
2. Send Retargeting Broadcast Campaigns - AiSensy automatically segregates your broadcast audience by Delivered, Read, and Replied Audiences. Run Retargeting Campaigns on the Basis of these filters. Retargeting Campaigns have proven to increase sales and engagement for Businesses.
3. Automate Notifications for Orders, Payments & more - Connect your CRM, Payment Portals, and eCommerce Platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce, and Hubspot. Zapier via APIs. Automate notifications for Abandoned Cart, Application Drop-off, Order Confirmation, Event Updates & more
4. Provide Live Chat support on multiple devices - Have multiple team members drive Live Chat Support on the Same Whatsapp Business Number. Filter Chats according to tags, campaigns and attributes for Smart Agent Chat Routing.
5. Integrate WhatsApp Chatbot seamlessly - Connect Smart A.I. Chatbots from Google Dialogflow seamlessly & monitor conversations from the Live Chat Dashboard. Solve Customer Queries, Send Images, Files & Videos in a Smart Automated Manner.
6. Apply for Verified WhatsApp Green Tick for Free - Get a verified Green Tick Checkmark & establish a trustable Brand Identity. AiSensy helps you apply for the esteemed WhatsApp Green Tick for Free.
7. Unmatched Customer Support from the Support Team - If you get stuck at any place; from applying for WhatsApp Business API to getting Template Messages verified, AiSensy's support team is available via Calls, Google Meet, Email & WhatsApp.
Want this for your Business?
Well, that's it on how to create WhatsApp Business Account using WhatsApp Business App & WhatsApp Business API.
Both accounts offer their own unique use cases suitable for different businesses. While WhatsApp Business App suits individual & small businesses, WhatsApp Business API is the way to go if you're running a startup or enterprise with high message volumes.
Want to know more about WhatsApp Business API? Check out our guide here.