WhatsApp Broadcasting in Bulk is a great strategy for your business to reach hundreds of Thousands of Users in one go & drive 3x more sales & revenue. This is because Messages sent on WhatsApp have:
- 98% Open rates (10x more than emails & SMS)
- 45-60% Conversion rates (20x more than emails)
In this blog, we’ll cover everything you need to know to leverage the complete potential of a WhatsApp Broadcast for your Business.
We'll discuss how to do WhatsApp broadcasting with:
Table of Contents
- What is a WhatsApp Broadcast
- WhatsApp Broadcasting using Business App
- Limitations of sending WhatsApp Broadcast through Business App
- WhatsApp Broadcasting using WhatsApp Business API
- WhatsApp Broadcasting using AiSensy Platform
- How to send a WhatsApp Broadcast through AiSensy?
- Send WhatsApp Retargeting Campaigns
- WhatsApp Broadcasting FAQs
We’ll also tell you what to do to make the most out of WhatsApp Broadcasting with the WhatsApp Business app & WhatsApp Business API.
What is a WhatsApp Broadcast?
WhatsApp Broadcast is basically, a list of recipients who receive messages from your business in bulk on WhatsApp. With a WhatsApp Broadcast using WhatsApp Business API, you can send messages to Unlimited users in one go, even those who haven’t added you to their contacts list.
You can send these messages only to users who've opted-in to receive WhatsApp notifications from your business.
Many people confuse WhatsApp Broadcast with Group messages. But, in WhatsApp Broadcasts, users receive messages in private chat & cannot see the names and numbers of other recipients.
E.g. latest arrivals, product-related insights, delivery updates, newsletter subscriptions and more.
Here’s a sample WhatsApp Broadcast Message sent via WhatsApp Business API:
In the above image, our client PIE Hotels has sent a WhatsApp Business Broadcast about the latest discounts on a hotel stay. With the average WhatsApp message open rate of 98%, if they send this message to 1,00,000 users, they'd have 98,000 people who read the sent message on WhatsApp.
Based on your business’ scale of operations, you can choose either WhatsApp Business or WhatsApp Business API for sending these broadcast messages.
WhatsApp Business favors small businesses like retail shops and local manufacturers, while WhatsApp Business API is the preferred choice of medium & large enterprises looking to reach a mass audience on WhatsApp. Here are some more use cases of WhatsApp Business API.
That's all about WhatsApp Broadcast for Business.
But, what's the process of delivering these broadcast messages to WhatsApp users?
Let's discuss how you can send broadcast in WhatsApp Business App & the WhatsApp Business API.
How to send Broadcast message on WhatsApp Business? (for small businesses)
If you’re a self-sufficient small business, WhatsApp Business is the perfect choice for sending broadcasts to your customers. WhatsApp Business is free to use, easy to set up and has an in-built Broadcasting feature available.
The Business App has a WhatsApp Broadcast limit of 256 unique users at a time. While the numbers are low, you can create multiple broadcast lists to make it work.
You can send promotional WhatsApp broadcasts with clickable links to customers. But, if it were that easy wouldn’t WhatsApp had become like email; filled with spam?
Well, not exactly! Uncle Zuckerburg is smart! Since WhatsApp is strict about its users' privacy and personal space, WhatsApp Broadcast messages only reach those who have added you to their contact lists.
With WhatsApp Business App, WhatsApp Broadcasting is super easy. Follow the below steps to create a WhatsApp Business broadcast list of up to 256 contacts & send them messages:
- Click the three white dots on the right side of the WhatsApp Business App & hit 'New Broadcast"
- Select the contacts whom you want to add to your WhatsApp Broadcast list. You can select up to 256 contacts in one broadcast list on the Business App
- Create the broadcast list by clicking on the green tick button.
Monitoring is easy. Look for double blue ticks in front of the chats to whom you've sent the broadcast.
You can now send & monitor WhatsApp Broadcast to contacts who have added you to their contact list.
Limitations of sending WhatsApp Broadcast through WhatsApp Business App
It's easy to share broadcasts through WhatsApp Business but is it enough to sustain your business. Let's look at some limitations of the app which might make it unsuitable for your business:
- WhatsApp Broadcast limit to only 256 contacts
- Accessible only across 2 devices (one smartphone and one PC)
- No smart segregation & analysis of messages sent
- No feature for Chat automation, quick replies & WhatsApp chatbot integration
- People who haven't added you to their contacts won't receive the broadcast
WhatsApp Business is more suited for individual and small business owners looking to establish their identity as a Business. However, for medium & large businesses a limit of 256 contacts only for sending broadcast messages can be a hindrance.
Numbers do matter, especially if you want to share broadcast messages in WhatsApp to a wide audience!
To serve a wider audience, you need a bigger, better platform to send broadcast messages on WhatsApp to Unlimited users (like we promised in the title)
So, what’s the bigger, better solution?
The answer is WHATSAPP BUSINESS API
Introduced around the same time as WhatsApp Business, WhatsApp Business API helps medium to large-sized businesses personalize their communication with clients.
With WhatsApp Business API, you can send broadcasts to up to 1,00,000 unique users, automate abandoned cart notifications & payment links, simultaneously communicate with multiple customers and provide 24x7 Customer Support with WhatsApp Chatbots and live support.
WhatsApp Broadcasting using WhatsApp Business API
WhatsApp Business API allows businesses to send broadcast messages in WhatsApp including notifications, announcements, promotion messages and more; all in one single platform.
Here are a few benefits of using WhatsApp Business API-based platforms like AiSensy for WhatsApp Broadcasting:
- Industry best- 98% open rates
- Send WhatsApp Broadcast to Unlimited Users (to opted-in users).
- People who haven't added you to their contacts will receive the WhatsApp Broadcast
- Track in-depth Analytics for your WhatsApp Broadcast
- Send WhatsApp Retargeting Campaigns to a particular audience group
- Provide live chat support on multiple devices using the same phone number
- Install WhatsApp Chatbot to automate general customer queries
Moreover, it’s better than WhatsApp Broadcast in WhatsApp Business app because:
- It allows you to deliver bulk messages to Unlimited unique users (to opted-in users).
- You can send messages to people who haven’t saved your contacts
- Get official Green Tick Verification from WhatsApp.
All that comes later!
First, you need to take your business to WhatsApp Business API. However, the Business API doesn’t have a unique interface.
You need a platform like AiSensy to utilize the benefits of WhatsApp Business API and more.
WhatsApp Broadcast using AiSensy Platform
Key features of AiSensy include:
- WhatsApp Broadcasting to UNLIMITED users in one go (to opted-in users)
- Automate notifications for Abandoned Cart, Order confirmation, payments & more
- Live Chat & WhatsApp Chatbot Automation for customer support
- Friendliest customer support (24x7)
- Zero Setup fee
- Live-chat Dashboard with smart audience segmentation feature
WhatsApp Broadcast through WhatsApp Business API with AiSensy
To send a WhatsApp Broadcast using WhatsApp Business API, signup on AiSensy.
We have already created a dedicated page on how to apply for WhatsApp Business API with AiSensy. So, here's a brief on how to do it!
Just follow these steps:
- Head to the AiSensy platform and sign up by clicking here.
- Now, fill in personal details including name, business number and company name.
- You'll enter a 14-Day Free Trial on Signing up.
- Once you sign up, create a project and name it. You can name it anything from your company name to your department name if you want separate APIs for different departments.
- Apply for WhatsApp Business API from AiSensy Dashboard
That's it! Within 1-2 days, you'll get approval from WhatsApp! (At times, you get approved within 10 minutes)
Now, that that's clear, let's head on to how to share WhatsApp Broadcast messages with AiSensy.
There are two ways to shoot broadcast messages in WhatsApp via AiSensy. These are:
Method 1- Through Contact Page
Step 1: Filter the customers based on various parameters. You can filter using parameters such as organic, ads, active, closed as shown in the image below 👇.
Step 2: Now, select all the filtered down users and click on the “Broadcast” button as shown in the image below👇.
Step 3: Select the WhatsApp broadcast message you want to send and hit, “Send now” to shoot the broadcast as shown in the image below👇.
We've chosen payment reminder as the WhatsApp Broadcasting message.
As we fill '$Firstname' inside Parameter 1, it'll reflect in the template message on the right side. These dynamic values are personalization parameters for each user.
If you write, "$Firstname' besides 1, every customer will receive the message with their first name.
Configure all parameters based on the use case and intent of the WhatsApp Broadcast. Take time and do this step carefully as once you hit send, there's no reversing it!
Step 4- Finally, hit the 'Send now' button to live the broadcast to your users.
Bigger broadcasts up to 10,000 messages can take up to 2 hours to successfully execute while smaller broadcasts upto 1000 messages take around 5-10 minutes to deliver to customers.
Method 2- WhatsApp Broadcasting through Campaign Page
To launch a WhatsApp Broadcast from the campaigns page, hit the '+launch' button on the top right corner and choose 'Broadcast'. Now, follow the below steps:
Step 1: Choose a campaign name that best describes the broadcast or your end goals.
Step 2: Select between pre-approved template messages or regular messages that you want to broadcast to users. Template messages need to be approved from WhatsApp to send to users.
Regular messages can be any message you draft and send to users who have connected with you in the past 24 hours. Messages can include text, media, images, videos, CTA buttons, quick replies and much more.
Step 3: Now, segregate your audience and choose the contacts to whom you wish to send the WhatsApp Broadcast.
Step 4: Pick a pre-approved template message or create a regular message and configure the parameters just like we did while sending broadcasts through the contacts method.
Step 5: Configure & preview the selected message and click “Broadcast” to launch the WhatsApp Broadcast Campaign.
How to track analytics?
Tracking the performance of WhatsApp Broadcast is equally important as sending the broadcast.
AiSensy's intuitive dashboard allows you to monitor analytics quite easily! here's how to do it:
- Go to campaigns and hit the 'eye' button on the left side of each campaign.
- You'll see analytics like the ones shown in the image below
Here, you can view how many people the campaign was sent or failed to send, deliver, read and enqueued.
Your message will reach your customers immediately.
But, you cannot start sending messages to 100, 000 unique customers from the beginning. You’d need to convince WhatsApp that you’re credible. You’d have to win the three tiers of trust:
- 1st tier- In 1st tier, you can only send messages to 1000 unique users in one day. There’s no limit to the number of messages you can send until the number exceeds 1000 unique users. If you send the message to 1000+ users, only 1000 will receive the message within 24 hours. Others will receive it the next day.
- 2nd tier- Businesses can send messages to 10,000 unique users in the 2nd tier.
- 3rd tier- This tier allows businesses to send a broadcast to 1, 00,000 unique users.
- 4th Tier - This ultimate tier allows businesses to send WhatsApp Broadcast to UNLIMITED users in one go
How to reach the 4rd tier from the 1st tier? You can only do it when:
- The quality rating is not low
- The cumulative amount of unique users the business sends notifications to ads up to twice the current messaging limit within 7 days.
Check out how to upgrade your WhatsApp Broadcast Tier easily.
How to send Retargeting WhatsApp Broadcast Campaigns?
Now that you're familiar with the basics of WhatsApp Broadcasting, let's deep dive into the newest AiSensy feature that allows you to Retarget the right set of audiences.
WhatsApp Retargeting Campaigns allow you to retarget a particular set of users by sending them a WhatsApp Broadcast Campaign.
Now, let's say you wish to Broadcast a message:
- To only those who have Read your previous campaign or
- To those who responded to the Broadcast with a particular reply
- Users to whom the previous message was delivered but didn't read it!
You can do it in a jiffy with AiSensy.
All you need to do is go to a particular WhatsApp Broadcast Campaign, select an audience group (e.g. People who replied to a particular message) & send the Retargeted WhatsApp Broadcast.
Below is an example of a WhatsApp Retargeting Campaign sent to users who read and did not read the WhatsApp Broadcast message.
To know how to create & send these campaigns, check out this WhatsApp Retargeting Campaigns Guide.
WhatsApp Broadcasting FAQs!
Here are some intricate queries you might have once you start using WhatsApp Business API to share broadcast messages.
Simply, WhatsApp Broadcast allows you to send a message to multiple contacts in one go without compromising the contact's privacy which is disturbed in the case of WhatsApp Groups.
A WhatsApp Broadcast List is a saved list of all the contacts to whom you send the WhatsApp Broadcast. All users receive the WhatsApp Broadcast in their personal chats & not in a Group Chat, making a huge difference. People who have received the same Broadcast cannot see the names & numbers of other people (making it extremely private, secure & user-focused)
Using WhatsApp Business App, you can add 256 contacts to a WhatsApp Broadcast. Using the WhatsApp Business API platform AiSensy, you can add Unlimited Contacts to a WhatsApp Broadcast and send it to Unlimited Contacts as well.
With WhatsApp Business API! WhatsApp Broadcast sent via WhatsApp Business API platforms like AiSensy reach even those users who haven't added you to their contact list.
This depends on the quality rating that WhatsApp allows you. If people block or report you as spam on WhatsApp, you’ll receive a warning on FB Business Manager. If you’re still unable to cope with the ratings, your number will get blocked. However, it’s very rare and happens only when you send promotional messages without opt-in.
To export contacts, you need to upload your contact list in .csv format. You can also pick the contacts who have messaged you recently.
Send SMS & e-mail campaigns Have a checkmark in the lead contact form on your landing page taking consent and opt-in from users. Integrate a WhatsApp Pop-up on the Website that collects people's mobile numbers.
Failed messages are those which are not sent to users. This can be due to two reasons: No opt-in Inactive user If a broadcast message fails to deliver, you won't be charged a single dime!
WhatsApp Broadcast Messages get delivered to Unlimited users in one go if sent via WhatsApp Business API. You can have only 256 people in a WhatsApp Group. The biggest difference, however, is that in a WhatsApp Group, people's privacy gets disrupted. Anyone can have their contact number & send them a WhatsApp message. While a WhatsApp Broadcast is safe & delivered to users in their personal chats.
Prior to September 2021, WhatsApp didn't allow businesses to send promotional messages on WhatsApp. However, they now allow businesses across the globe to send promotional messages without risk of getting banned. You can send promotional messages like discount offers, coupons, etc easily to customers on WhatsApp to boost ROI up to 33x.
WhatsApp Broadcasting is the simplest yet most effective WhatsApp
It guarantees an upward rise in sales & growth of your business and it has been a boon to our clients!
To know more about WhatsApp Marketing techniques, check this blog.
Whether it’s with WhatsApp Business App or WhatsApp API, you can send announcements, notifications and enticing offers that customers can’t reject using the broadcast feature. In this blog, you learned:
- What is WhatsApp Broadcasting!
- Different ways through which you can create a WhatsApp Broadcast list on WhatsApp Business and WhatsApp Business API
- How to send Broadcast in WhatsApp Business App & the WhatsApp Business API.
- Last, but not least, you learnt of AiSensy and its role in helping you share bulk messages with thousands of customers across the globe.